Frequently Asked Questions

Do Core Assets offer Independent Support in my local area?

Core Assets offer support in 22 local authority areas.  To find out if we offer support in the area you live in please click here.

How do I make a referral to get an Independent Supporter?

What does an Independent Supporter do?

What training and experience do Independent Supporters have?

Our independent supporters have extensive experience of working with parents, carers and young people in a variety of contexts and have been recruited from the local area. Some of our Independent Supporters are parents and carers of children/young people with Special Educational Needs/Disabilities (SEND) or young people (aged over 18) with SEND themselves. All Independent Supporters are required to successfully complete Independent Supporter training provided by the Council for Disabled Children (CDC) which covers the legal and practical aspects of the Independent Supporter role. In addition to this, all Independent Supporters are required to have successfully completed Core Assets Children’s Services own comprehensive induction and training programme.

How much support can I expect to receive from an Independent Supporter?

Independent Supporters are able to act as a named contact person providing information and support for parents of children with SEND, and young people with SEND, through the Education Health and Care Planning processes. Support can be offered via our website, our dedicated telephone helpline and via face to face support. Face to face support may be designed around any point in a 20 week period and achieved with time limited sessions with the parent or young person. Although the time spent with parents, carers and/or young people can vary, it is likely to in the region of 8 hours.

I don’t think I need someone to visit me, I just want to talk this through with someone. Can you still help me?

Yes.  Independent Support can be provided in many ways ranging from a telephone conversation, support via email as well as the option of having an Independent Supporter assigned to you who can offer 1:1 support in your home or at a location near you.  If you want to just talk to someone or email in with your query then please ring us on 0800 028 8455 or email us on .  Our email and helplines are manned by trained Independent Supporters.  If after having your discussion you decide you would like an Independent Supporter to visit you then they can also complete the referral form for you

I am a parent/carer or young person with SEND. How can I be more involved?

We are keen to involve Parent/Carers and young people in the work that we are doing.  Your input could range from helping to guide us to ensure we are offering the best service we can, to volunteering or working for us and offering support to other families and young people.  For further information please contact Joanne Brown via, who will discuss opportunities and put you in touch with the relevant regional manager.

I would be interested in working for Core Assets as an Independent Supporter. How do I apply?

As an Independent Supporter there are a number of ways to support parents, children and young people. You can offer telephone support, home visits and support and meetings. You will be there to support parents giving information and signposting where advice is required. There are a variety of hours available. For further information please us on

I volunteer in my local community but would like the opportunity to volunteer as an Independent Supporter. Could I do this?

Yes, there is a wide range of roles available to use from supporting staff and working with families independently. The first step would be to complete an application form and meet a member of our team for a chat. We can discuss your skills and experiences and match a role that suits you. Full training and support will also be available. For further information please contact us via